Fellowship, Programs and Outreach
No matter what your age, we have something for you. You decide how you want to participate in the life and work of our Church. Come prepared to roll up your sleeves and work or to sit and talk, to discuss your thoughts on the latest book, to sing, to join us in fellowship or worship. The choice is yours.
This page provides a snippet overview of some of our groups and the work we do. To get updates on what's happening each week, head on over to the News and Things page on our website.
- First United Men's Club
- United Church Women
- Book Club
- Quilt Group
- Outreach and Social Action
The Latest News and Things
- Weekly News November 18 - UCW prepares gift bags, photos, 65th Anniversary, Christmas Light Service, Spirit of Newfoundland, Breakfast with …
- Remembrance Day Service at First United 2018. Carrying Flag, Kevin Martin; wreath bearers Veteran Doug Ivany and Youth Group Member, …
- Weekly News November 11, 2018 - Remembrance Day Service, parade, tolling of the bells; other events during the week; special …
We're a very active congregation from worship to outreach. You'll find something going on just about every day of the week. When you get involved, you'll never be short on laughter and you'll certainly find no shortage of things to do and ways to serve.
Upcoming Events at First United
Prayer Group at First United
Thursday Mornings 10 am
First United offers a prayer group on Thursday Mornings at 10 am (approximately 1 hour). We make use of different forms of prayers: spoken and silent, meditative and contemplative. There is a specific time that prepares us to receive the gift of prayer; prayer in which we experience God's presence within us, closer than breathing, closer than thinking, closer than consciousness itself. This method of prayer is both a relationship with God and a discipline to foster that relationship.
Why not join us in the sanctuary! All are welcome!
Coming Up Next
Our Men's Club has been in existence since the early days of the establishment of First United Church in Mount Pearl. We meet eight times a year, sharing in fellowship, food and fun. We also take part in the work of the Church, often leading functions, social action and outreach activities. Our Club currently consists of about 45 men, averaging about 30 in attendance at each meeting. We welcome new members to share our fellowship.
Tentative Schedule of Events for 2018
- Tuesday, September 11th - Men's Club Meeting
- Tuesday, October 2nd -Men's Club Meeting
- Friday, October 5th - Jiggs Dinner (Pending Approval)
- Saturday, November 3rd - Support for UCW Afternoon Tea and Bake Sale
- Tuesday, November 6th - Men's Club Meeting
- Friday, November 16th - Turkey Teas (Pending Approval)
- Monday, December 3rd - Cater UCW Christmas Dinner
- Tuesday, December 11th - Men's Club Christmas Dinner and Dance
- Saturday, December 15th - Breakfast with Santa (Pending Approval)
- Sunday, December 16th - Seniors Dinner (Pending Approval)
United Church Women (UCW)
The First United Church Women's Group (UCW) is a vibrant and active group of women who meet the second Monday of each month, September to June. We worship, deal with business, tackle special projects, visit our elderly, sick and shut-ins, and support the overall work of our Church Community. We welcome new members to join us on our faith journey as we share our time, talents and treasures.
Tentative Schedule of Events Fall 2018
- Monday, September 17 - (note new date) Regular Meeting
- Tuesday, October 02 - Agnes Pratt Nursing Home Birthday Party
- Monday, October 15 - Pot-Luck Supper
- Friday, November 02 - Set up for Afternoon Tea
- Saturday, November 03 - Fall Afternoon Tea and Bake Sale
- Monday, November 12 - Regular Meeting (includes Election of Officers)
- Sunday, December 02 - UCW Christmas Lights Service
- Monday, December 03 - UCW Christmas Dinner
Our children are such a wonderful, vital part of our Church and we learn from them as much if not more than they learn from us. Our Sunday School classes range in age groups from toddlers to Junior High. Each Sunday they join our Worship Service and then, after their special time of story, music and sharing, head downstairs to Trinity Hall where there is fun, music and more stories.
"A person is a person - no matter how small."
~ Dr. Seuss
SNAC is Sunday Night at Church - Our Youth Group
First United Book Club meets for an hour once each month to choose and discuss. We're deliberate in keeping a wide range of reading, from fiction to non-fiction, from Newfoundland to Australia, from historical biography to fictional biography. Our only criteria is that each book have a religious, moral or social theme but we aim for a wide variety of writing styles. Books are chosen by all members a month or two in advance.
We average about six regular members for each meeting with a couple of others dropping in as able and would love to have more people join us.
The quilting group meets the first and third Monday evenings of each month at 7:30 pm. We usually meet in the multi-purpose room at the church. If you are interested in joining, contact us for information. Beginners and experienced quilters welcome.
Outreach and Social Action
We're a very active bunch! Our routine volunteer work, fundraisers and financial contributions include such things as:
- Seniors dinners
- Visitation with the sick and shut-in
- Christmas baskets for prisoners
- Bridges to Hope
- Stella Burry Foundation
- Iris Kirby House
- Emmanuel House
- Foster Children's Fund
- Mission in Service Fund
We also participate in special projects from time to time as a need arises.
" The heart of a volunteer is not measured in size, but by the depth of the Commitment to make a difference in the lives of others."
~ DeAnn Hollis