First News October 17, 2020
First News - Our Weekly Online Newsletter
First News October 17, 2020 provides an update on the upcoming worship service, our UCW corner highlighting what's coming up for members, and more.
The season of brightly coloured leaves is here
The time when the ladies gather to discuss the fall fair
But this year is different as we all know
A gathering at church would be a “no show”
So, we had to think, “What can we do?”
And here is where we’ll need help from you
Tea and baked goods can’t go through the mail
The solution is a “Bakeless Bake Sale”
So, there’s no need to go to the kitchen and bake
A big batch of cookies or a Christmas fruit cake
Just place in the envelope the amount you see fit
And know we’re so thankful and appreciate it
We realize what’s so special about our afternoon tea
Is me sitting with you and you sitting with me
But the time will come when we’ll go through the church door
And we’ll gather inside and sit together once more.
But until that day just know that we care
Because we’re all united, held together in prayer.
First United UCW
Write your name, Envelop Number and amount on a slip of paper along with your donation and drop it in the church mail slot (to the right side of the main door). Or get in touch with a UCW member for pick-up.
The date of our “Bakeless Bake Sale” is October 24
Thank you for your support.
Sunday Worship Service
October 18, 2020
Starting at 11 am in the Sanctuary
available online later in the evening
First United Church
Worship in the Sanctuary
It is wonderful that we are able to, once again, gather for worship in our Sanctuary.
Due to the Covid virus there is limited seating available
Reserve Your Seat
Capacity restricted to 58 maximum in total based on our space available
All Congregants MUST Register
To register please call the church office between 10am and 1pm
Tuesday, Thursday or Friday each week
Please do NOT leave a voicemail to reserve your place
Click HERE for a detailed list of current COVID-19 protocols
Updates for UCW Members:
- East District UCW Gathering by Zoom on October 24th (11 am – 1 pm): The Theme of the Gathering is “We Come Singing”. If you wish to attend, please send your contact information. Deadline to get name to Area President is Saturday October 17th. Just think about it! You will be on line with ladies from all around the East District. It will be a lot of fun. So get your name in NOW.
- Items for Carew Lodge / Emmanuel House: You still have time to get a few things together for our Christmas Bags. Stay tuned for information regarding WHEN to drop the items off at the Church Hall.
Updates for the Congregation and UCW Members:
Christmas Lights Service: Planning for our Christmas Lights Service is underway. The talk has been - Can we? Will We? How? Stay tuned
The Bakeless Bake Sale is October 24th. See details on this page
This Week's Chuckle
I was Hungary so Iran to the store to get some Turkey which I cooked in Greece, and served with a side of Chile, which I ate with my friends Jordan and Chad. Sudanly we had Togo because we were Ghana get in trouble because we didn’t Finnish paying. But I’ve Benin trouble before, there was Norway they were going to catch me, I Congo much faster than they can.
Effective September 28th: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays - 10 am to 1 pm
Because of COVID-19 First United is following strict protocols. Effective September 28th someone will be in the church office for inquiries, phone calls, etc. on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 10 am to 1 pm.
If you have mail for the church please use the drop box. If you need to talk to somebody please leave a message on the phone and somebody will get back to you. We will be checking emails regularly. You can send us an email through the website (email form on this page) You can also contact the Board Chair, Joan Winsor, at 687-2147
Your Support is Needed
We're a very active congregation from worship to outreach. Even during this pandemic our ministry continues, albeit in a different form. From Online Worship, to supporting our local food bank, to individuals preparing and delivering meals to those in need, to telephone visits, we haven't stopped. Also we have been making use of grocery store gift cards for those in need. To do all this, we need your support.
First United Church
Relaunching Guidelines: In Person Ministry
REVISED September 8, 2020
First United Church Emergency Response Committee
Looking Forward in Faith
In Newfoundland and Labrador, our churches are permitted to resume operations with MANY restrictions at Alert Level 2, including “no more than 100 people, or 50 per cent capacity, whichever is less”.
Faith-based services pose a risk of COVID-19 transmission through:
- Sharing of ceremonial objects
Individuals over 60 and those with chronic conditions are at higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19.
Our community of faith is required to make a plan that fits with our needs, taking into consideration the activities undertaken and the demographic of our church community.
First United Church will be moving to re-entry to the Sanctuary for the congregation very slowly. The restrictions that are currently in place require a number of actions for us to take that will detract enormously from the church experience. For example:
- Capacity restricted to 58 maximum in total based on our space available – who do we say no to?
- All congregants will have to register by calling the church between 10am and 1pm on Tuesday, Thursday or Friday each week to reserve their place. Do not leave a voicemail to reserve your place.
- Congregants wishing to use the assisted listening devices must bring their own headsets
- Coat racks will not be available for use
- Maintain physical distancing in the vestibule and in the sanctuary (pews will be closed off ensuring physical separation between all family units).
- No gatherings before church; congregants will be seated by an usher upon arrival and registration
- No gatherings following service. Congregants will be directed out of the building immediately on the conclusion of the service, by row, by an usher.
- Ushers will seat congregants starting at the front of the sanctuary and dismiss congregants starting at the rear of the sanctuary
- Singing will not be permitted
- No choir
- No passing of the peace or shaking hands
- Congregants will be required to wear masks.
- Bulletins will not be used
- No hymn books or bibles in the pews
- No Sunday School
- Members of the Congregation in vulnerable categories (> 60 years old or with underlying medical conditions) are advised not to attend.
- Continuously advise any congregants who are symptomatic or have been advised by public health 8-1-1 to report their symptoms, to self-isolate and stay at home (Fever above 38C, a new cough, or worsening cough, headache, sore throat, runny nose, fatigue, muscle pain, diarrhea, loss of sense of taste, loss of smell, and in children, purple markings on the fingers and toes)
- Church sanctuary, vestibule and washrooms will be completely cleaned after each service
- Persons who have arrived in the province less than 14 days prior must be self isolating and are not permitted to attend
- Only church members will be permitted to attend. No visitors will be admitted
The current on-line service is well attended and appreciated and will continue.
- Funerals will be held at the church under exceptional circumstances only.
- Weddings will be held at the church with strict adherence to public health directives.
- Infant baptisms will be held at the church with strict adherence to public health directives.
- Cleaning and disinfecting will need to be completed after every gathering.
Visitation and Pastoral Care:
- Visitation and Pastoral care will be through phone or other virtual methods.
- Hospital visits can be arranged with the hospital Chaplin.
Members of the congregation are encouraged to use the secure mail slot to the right of the main entrance to drop off their givings and/or prayer requests or to use online methods for donations or other contacts. Email, phone messages and the mail slot are checked regularly.
September 8, 2020
First United Church Emergency Response Committee
Click HERE for downloadable document